Android Malware Alert:
The Fountain Trust Company is currently NOT aware of any instances affecting our mobile app, but we encourage Android users to be aware and remain vigilant against any potential malware threat.
A newly discovered Android Malware called BankBot is a Trojan designed to steal money from the bank accounts of Android users. The malware launches a phishing front page of social media or mobile banking apps, prompting the user to enter his or her credentials. The malware then sends the collected data to online servers, where hackers gain access to the stolen data. Possible applications at risk include Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Snapchat, Viber, WeChat, IMO, Uber and the Google Play Store.
Protect yourself from this threat by doing the following:
1. Always be very careful when downloading APK files from the third-party applications stores.
Go to Settings -- Security -- Turn off the option "Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store."
2. Do not open attachments sent from unknown or suspicious sources.
3. Never click on links sent to you via SMS or MMS on your mobile phone. Even if you receive an email that looks legitimate, do not click on the link. Go directly to the original site to look for whatever you are interested in.
4. Keep your antivirus application up to date.
5. Keep your smartphone's Wi-Fi off when not in use to avoid connecting it to unknown and unsecured routers.
Click here for more information.